P3700 vs 900P

mada

Aug 16, 2017
Hello,

i'm confused between intel P3700 vs intel 900p for journal . i'm currently have 1 x 900P and 1 x p3700 however the third server not decided yet.
i'm understand that 900p is consumer but it has quit good lifespan 10 Drive Writes per Day (DWPD) and even faster than P3700 which it has 43.8 PBW (JEDEC Workload), 15 DWPD

any recommendation?

Thanks

There are other factors you should consider, not only TBW, i.e. P3700 as "pro" SSD has power-loss protection. There are also differences in firmware (P3700 is optimized for server load), controller of P3700 has more channels, etc, etc.

Hmm, I'm not sure if anyone has really compared the Intel Optane (3D Xpoint) series to NAND-based NVMe drives for ceph. At least according to arstechnica the 900p does have power loss protection https://www.anandtech.com/show/11953/the-intel-optane-ssd-900p-review/3

I'd have to imagine though that there is *some* reason to use the enterprise P4800X instead, I'm not sure what the drawbacks are to an enterprise workload on a 900p, but I typically err on the side of caution and use only devices for the purposes the manufacturer intended (use DC devices in a DC). The 10 DWPD for the consumer optane is definitely impressive though, seems more enterprise grade. Regarding performance, I doubt there'd be any visible with ceph due to network latency.

That said, you did mention "journal", which implies you're still using FileStore, you really should switch to BlockStore and put the block db on the high-speed storage.

Also @Rhinox the "P" doesn't mean "pro" it means PCI (aka NVMe) afaik. The S3700 the "S" means "SATA", and is also an enterprise-class drive, the full name would be Intel DC S3700 or Intel DC P3700 for "Data Center" "Sata" or "PCI".

Hmm, I'm not sure if anyone has really compared the Intel Optane (3D Xpoint) series to NAND-based NVMe drives for ceph. At least according to arstechnica the 900p does have power loss protection https://www.anandtech.com/show/11953/the-intel-optane-ssd-900p-review/3

I'd have to imagine though that there is *some* reason to use the enterprise P4800X instead, I'm not sure what the drawbacks are to an enterprise workload on a 900p, but I typically err on the side of caution and use only devices for the purposes the manufacturer intended (use DC devices in a DC). The 10 DWPD for the consumer optane is definitely impressive though, seems more enterprise grade. Regarding performance, I doubt there'd be any visible with ceph due to network latency.

That said, you did mention "journal", which implies you're still using FileStore, you really should switch to BlockStore and put the block db on the high-speed storage.

Also @Rhinox the "P" doesn't mean "pro" it means PCI (aka NVMe) afaik. The S3700 the "S" means "SATA", and is also an enterprise-class drive, the full name would be Intel DC S3700 or Intel DC P3700 for "Data Center" "Sata" or "PCI".

i got 2 PCI Intel P3700 and one 900p yes i will use it for Blustore since i'm using 6tb enterprise drives for OSD and need speed for my storage. with FDR 56Gb/s switch

Is that wise to use only one drive for block db ?

not only TBW, i.e. P3700 as "pro" SSD has power-loss protection
There is no need for power protection on 3D-XPonit SSD because they have no DDR cache and will write directly to the chip.
So if you lose power the data are still on the chip and not in the cache.
The propose for power protection is in case of power outage to move the data from the cache to the NAND.

There is no need for power protection on 3D-XPonit SSD because they have no DDR cache and will write directly to the chip.
So if you lose power the data are still on the chip and not in the cache.
The propose for power protection is in case of power outage to move the data from the cache to the NAND.

i will use mix then 2 of P3700 and 1 900P and will add more as soon as add more servers.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!