P2V to Proxmox with 4 disks

Alyke

Mar 4, 2024
Hello all,

I need to virtualize a PC with 4 disks, 3 are 1TB and 1 is 500GB.
The problem is i cannot stop that pc for too long.
I tried to search online some options and i found a lot of people that suggest using Disk2VHD, has anone used it? is it good for large disks?
I also found Vmware converter, but to actually try it I need to reactivate an esxi that I have deactivated and if it is successful more time will be "wasted" to export then to Proxmox.

Someone know something else for P2V a PC (Windows 7) really huge to Proxmox without losing many days?
Thanks you :)

Sorry for my bad english, i'm not native :p

I've previously suggested [1] using robocopy for any of the secondary drives and only migrating the C-drive through regular means (P2V, Bare-Metal backup restore, similar).

Basically: Spin up a temporary VM on proxmox, attach empty disks, robocopy everything from the other drives over, prepare the server for proxmox (drivers etc.), migrate the C-drive of the server, detach the drives from the temp-VM and attach it to the migrated VM.

During the robocopy process you can just leave the server running, you just run it a few times and a final time once all the processes using those files are closed/stopped.

[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/c...roxmox-with-multiple-hdds.150986/#post-682983 (read that post and the rest of the posts in that thread for more tips)

Actually, Proxmox supports import of *.vmdk or *.vhdx disk images :)

Just Disk2VHD to somewhere (USB, NAS...)
Then make the files available from your pve node's shell (mount the USB drive, mount your NAS share...)
Create an empty VM and remember it's VMID.
Open a shell on the PVE node (usually i use Screen to make sure i can connect back if i loose the connection)
Run "qm disk import vmid pathtovhdxorvmdk local_storage" for each drive. Here's the Doc
Then, in the hardware menu of your vm you can attach them.

I case of Windows systems, if you dont feel installing the boot drivers, attach them as IDE or SATA, but VIRTIO are way better :p

I've previously suggested [1] using robocopy for any of the secondary drives and only migrating the C-drive through regular means (P2V, Bare-Metal backup restore, similar).

Basically: Spin up a temporary VM on proxmox, attach empty disks, robocopy everything from the other drives over, prepare the server for proxmox (drivers etc.), migrate the C-drive of the server, detach the drives from the temp-VM and attach it to the migrated VM.

During the robocopy process you can just leave the server running, you just run it a few times and a final time once all the processes using those files are closed/stopped.

[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/c...roxmox-with-multiple-hdds.150986/#post-682983 (read that post and the rest of the posts in that thread for more tips)
That could be a nice idea.
I need to check if there's some limit to Disk2VHD or similar, the C drive is 1TB :(

I case of Windows systems, if you dont feel installing the boot drivers, attach them as IDE or SATA, but VIRTIO are way better :p
Yeah, the first boot i usually do with IDE driver, install VirtIO and guest agent then switch to VirtIO
Run "qm disk import vmid pathtovhdxorvmdk local_storage" for each drive. Here's the Doc
Then, in the hardware menu of your vm you can attach them.
Thanks you :)

I thought I'd do just that for every data disk Sad fact, Disk2vhd does not see the other data disk, only 1 disk of 1TB, the other lost in the ether.
I think robocopy is my only hope :(
You have to run it once per disk in order to separate files if i remember well.
Or use another software that does.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!