P2V Linux

loadedmind

Jun 23, 2014
Hey all. Using proxmox version pve-manager/3.2-1/1933730b (running kernel: 2.6.32-27-pve).

Has anyone successfully managed to P2V a running Linux server to a .qcow2? We have a few Linux machines in our environment we'd like to virtualize, for obvious reasons. I was hoping to avoid VMware's vConverter Standalone tool.

Hey all. Using proxmox version pve-manager/3.2-1/1933730b (running kernel: 2.6.32-27-pve).

Has anyone successfully managed to P2V a running Linux server to a .qcow2? We have a few Linux machines in our environment we'd like to virtualize, for obvious reasons. I was hoping to avoid VMware's vConverter Standalone tool.

Hi,

I have successfully migrated physical machines into ProxmoxVE VMs successfully. They include RHEL4, RHEL5, RHEL6, SLES10 and SLES11.
Both 32 and 64 bit.

These were done manually by live booting the physical machine and rsyncing the file system into the VM's newly created HDD.
The details of the steps can be lengthy, but to answer your question, yes its very easy! :) :)

Best of luck!

Cheers and Regards,
Shantanu

Hi,

I have successfully migrated physical machines into ProxmoxVE VMs successfully. They include RHEL4, RHEL5, RHEL6, SLES10 and SLES11.
Both 32 and 64 bit.

These were done manually by live booting the physical machine and rsyncing the file system into the VM's newly created HDD.
The details of the steps can be lengthy, but to answer your question, yes its very easy! :) :)

Best of luck!

Cheers and Regards,
Shantanu

I understand that it's easy to P2V a machine that's shut down, but the question was in regards to P2V'ing a RUNNING Linux machine without turning it off or rebooting it.

I think that the most you can do is pre-seeding with rsync from a running system to the new VM, then preparing/testing the boot process of the VM. Then at switch-over you stop all services and do a final rsync, shut the old server down and start the VM. At least this is how I usually do this and I remember others in this forum using the same or a similar process.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!