Own firewall and policy routing on PMG

andreisrr

Feb 2, 2024
I am testing PMG for deployment into an environmentthat has some restrictions that would require firewall rules and policy routing rules on the PMG itself (not having an upstream firewall, administration interface restricted to given IPs, also via VPN that is routed through a different router then the subnet default gateway).

On a generic Linux machine these are simply acomplished with
Code:
iptables
and
Code:
ip
utilities.
Basic intuition is to create a script with the necessary commands and have it run at startup. Something like a
Code:
/etc/rc.local

Having little experience on Debian family distributions and PMG being a significantly modified Debian derivative, what would be the best way of acomplishing this?

PMG is based on Debian as you correctly pointed out - the only thing that might be of interest in this case is that it ships `ifupdown2` instead of ifupdown for network interface configuration - but else I currently don't see anything in PMG that would prevent you from doing this.
(Of course I might overlook something - but then just reply and we'll see how/if this can be repaired)

If you create this as a new service I'd strongly suggest to go with `nftables` for NAT/packet filtering, and using a proper systemd-service file instead of /etc/rc.local

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!