ovs-vsctl vs. /etc/network/interfaces

hansB

Sep 24, 2019
hi,

i'm an absolute new in the world of proxmox, so i have a fundamental question about using ovs - yes i know ovs is not specific proxmox, but i will use it in a proxmox virtualization.
in which case i use ovs-vsctl and in wich case the classic interface configuration (/etc/network/interfaces).

the the main question, are there any commands to write the ovs-vsctl commands to the interface config file or thats absolut different thinks ?

so what i wanna do ?

i have two physical interfaces and one of the should be used as vlan trunk and the other with the untagged management.
internal are 3-4 vm which should only present a interface with untagged vlan as access port - so as i seen this can be tap Interfaces - right ?
but what are the recommented way to configure this envirionment ?

thanks a lot

Hi,

you have to use the interfaces file if you like that your settings stay persistent.
Here is the Doku for it [1].
If you need ovs features where no interface notification exist then you can use

Code:
[post|pre]-[up|down] ovs-vsctl .....

1.) https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Open_vSwitch

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!