OVS Bridge Between VMs (QinQ?)

uberdome

Mar 19, 2019
I need a bridge between 2x Servers and multiple VMs that carries multiple VLANs.

This would normally be accomplished with QinQ. I have VLAN20 on my switch coming in with multiple internal VLANs. If the system behaved as I would expect, I would be able to make a port on a VM, assign VLAN20 to that port, and have all internal VLANs availble to the VM. If I do so, I only get the native VLAN inside VLAN20, and all other internal VLANs are gone.

When connecting a bridge to a port, all VLANs and QinQ VLANs appear to work just fine.

It occurs to me that a second bridge that is exposed to the QinQ VLAN may solve these issues.

Is there an accepted way to setup a 2nd bridge (My primary is vmbr0, so let's call the 2nd bridge vmbr20) that connects to a VLAN on the primary bridge? [It appears this could be the equivalent of a fake bridge, but I'm not sure PVE will support it.]

do you have tried with vlan-aware bridge ?

Code:
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
   bridge_ports eth0.20  #your external vlan
  bridge_stp off
  bridge_fd 0
  bridge_vlan_aware yes
  bridge-vids 2-4094    #your internal vlans

and don't setup any vlan on your vm nic.

Code:
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
   bridge_ports eth0.20  #your external vlan
  bridge_stp off
  bridge_fd 0
  bridge_vlan_aware yes
  bridge-vids 2-4094    #your internal vlans

I have not tried that (I was not aware of it). Do I need to do anything to define eth0.20, or is it automatically functioning as eth0.VID?

Code:
eth0.20 

Proxmox complains:
1572477652712.png

[In my test, ports are referenced as eno, not eth.]

How do you define a VLAN as a port?

Attachments

• 1572477555844.png
    1572477555844.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 4
oh sorry, my config is with linux bridge, not ovs.

you need to edit /etc/network/interfaces manually , I'm not sure that proxmox gui support tagged interface vlan yet.

I have attempted manually and through the GUI. I think I need an OVSPort definition for VLAN, but I cannot find documentation explaining the configuration file.

The best implementation method I can find (aside from typical dot1q-tunneling which is not yet natively supported) is to create a fake bridge. I still can't find documentation for configuration files for fake bridges, either, though.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!