OVA/OVF gui support?

bitbass

Aug 17, 2023
With the pending influx of former ESXi (free or otherwise) users, it would be nice if there's work going on to support OVA/OVF import in the gui that doesn't require CLI level work. It needs to be stupid simple. That's a technical term.

There are many network device emulators and security tools that are distributed as OVAs. I have a CCIE level friend that builds large Cisco, Palo Alto and Juniper networks in ESXi for simulating network behavior. These images are generally OVA/OVF formatted. I also have some clients that are deploying security tools, such as Darktrace, via OVAs.

These individuals will look elsewhere if the import process is not as simple as ESXi. I'm sure you have a lot on your plate. Wanted to make sure you knew these people are out there looking for a safe harbor.

Reactions: jorge25x
So you have companies that sell their product and to do so package it as OVA. And you are asking PVE to make import idiot-proof at the cost of delaying work on HA, backup, multi-cluster management, etc.
Do you think these friends of yours are going to buy a subscription to run the security tools or temporary network simulations?

If the import doesnt work because VM was intended for ESX - will it be PVE problem? Because the vendor will say "we only support ESX".

A much better solution would be for named vendors to package a tested version of their software as qcow, intended for KVM.

But file a feature request in bugzilla.proxmox.com may be it will get traction.

It is so funny how a paying VMware user can traipse into a free community asking for stuff rather than just learn how to do something themselves.

You are the ideal VMware customer buddy, just pay them what they have earned for their 10-ply charmin soft user experience.

Wow, didn't realize the tone of my comment would generate such vitriol. I never said
- "Paying VMWare user"
- "Delay other work"
- "Lack of 3rd party support is a PVE problem"

I guess I'll tell my Charmin loving friends that they'll get no help from the community here, buddy.

Reactions: abarakat
@all, please keep the tone friendly and constructive :)

@bitbass there was some work done to improve this and make it possible through the GUI, but it stalled. I am currently not sure if anyone is working on it and what the blockers were.
Ideally, such interest is placed in the bugtracker where we can gauge the interest for a feature better.

I found the following entries that are (somewhat) related:
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2363
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2424
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4141

@bitbass there was some work done to improve this and make it possible through the GUI, but it stalled. I am currently not sure if anyone is working on it and what the blockers were.
Ideally, such interest is placed in the bugtracker where we can gauge the interest for a feature better.

Thank you, Aaron.

There are multitudes fleeing VMWare right now. Many have only heard of Proxmox and not used it. I imagine Proxmox is interested in embracing them with open arms. And yes, I have several clients that will be purchasing commercial support for whatever replaces VMWare for them. I've been using Proxmox for years and I'm happy to talk about the benefits of it. It would be a shame if these users, who only have the experience of ESXi, are shot down in this way for asking really simplistic questions. I'm sure the paid support wouldn't treat them this way, but evening paying customers will visit the community forums.

Yeah, I'm angry right now, because as much as I like Proxmox I'm now nervous about recommending it to anyone if this is how the community will respond to even dumber questions than mine.

Aaron, 2424 is close but it references v7. Would it be better to add to that or create a new one that references v8?

Aaron, 2424 is close but it references v7. Would it be better to add to that or create a new one that references v8?
It should be okay. If it isn't marked in any way that would indicate it is done or only valid for a specific version, it is still valid for v8. :)

Thank you, Aaron.

There are multitudes fleeing VMWare right now. Many have only heard of Proxmox and not used it. I imagine Proxmox is interested in embracing them with open arms. And yes, I have several clients that will be purchasing commercial support for whatever replaces VMWare for them. I've been using Proxmox for years and I'm happy to talk about the benefits of it. It would be a shame if these users, who only have the experience of ESXi, are shot down in this way for asking really simplistic questions. I'm sure the paid support wouldn't treat them this way, but evening paying customers will visit the community forums.

Yeah, I'm angry right now, because as much as I like Proxmox I'm now nervous about recommending it to anyone if this is how the community will respond to even dumber questions than mine.

We get a lot of questions, that's for sure. Some of them on the level of how to setup ZFS or the most basic plug-in virtual networking. We help those people because they are actually trying to use PVE how it is meant to be used. Your question is closer to how can we make PVE be more like VMware. You aren't really trying to use PVE how it should be used, nor do you seem interested in how PVE goons pack and deploy their stuff. Your question is basically I want support for a VMware-formatted export in the PVE GUI. Please acknowledge that you understand what a difference that is.

VMware will be getting what the market will bear from its well-trained audience which has a specifically and deliberately limited understanding of virtualization and can only work within its own paradigms. Broadcom knows better than anyone how true this is and how willing the public will be to pay for their comfort zone, especially after evaluating the market. Customers looking for VMware alternatives, especially free ones, will need to get just a little more flexible and realistic about how unproductive it is to want to cling to VMware's memory and their VMware skill set while at the same time trying to move to something a lot more agnostic.

Proxmox has never wished or attempted to poach VMware's customer base nor does it purport to be an effortless drop-in replacement for VMware... but all of a sudden we get posts every day, from VMware users, asking for almost exactly that. Maybe one day there will be a sticky post about VMware. Rarely do the VMware users stop to ask themselves is there a better way to do XYZ or do I just want it to be done 'the VMware way' and to post on the official forum asking them to put VMware functionality into their free product.

Proxmox is totally free software. Your support subscription buys you access to the enterprise repo and some professional ticketed support. You can also buy Proxmox training, who knows with any luck the trainees could even develop an appreciation for PVE in contrast with VMware. You can ask for new GUI functionality all you want, but it's in no way tied to any funding brought in by support subscriptions, and the promise of a larger install base is really not the leverage you think it is when it comes to deciding what functionality to add. Again, be realistic.

If OVF was important, it would have been integrated eons ago. Outside the rapidly crumbling Potemkin Village of VMware, OVA/OVF is an entirely irrelevant format. Even Hyper-V does not readily work with it. No one besides Workstation and ESXi really even uses VMDK that much, except as MAYBE an intermediate format... Why hasn't Microsoft done anything about it? Why is there no interest? I don't know, but I can assure you the level of interest is quite low. It is little more than a zip file with a vmx and a vmdk. It would not serve the PVE community to keep it on life support for the sake of VMware refugees, a majority of whom do not represent any revenue to Proxmox.

Software vendors that distribute paid products via OVF are more likely to come up with more novel and more flexible methods of distribution, and in less time, than you are to see other platforms integrate OVF to the degree of, by your description "as simple as ESXi." I'm afraid the further expectation, if I'm not reading too much into things, of operating PVE successfully while never having to do any "CLI level work" is misplaced as well. Even VMware could not promise that.

Until then, parse the VMX and build a machine of equivalent specs. Convert the VMDK to what is appropriate for your storage, and go. 90% of those who are commonly understood to be of an intermediate skill level PVE admin would just do this and move on. The PVE vs VMware culture can almost be entirely boiled down to one group of individuals totally frozen without their 5-page wizards and the other group who can problem solve and just work through things.

If I were to suggest why this will never make it to the GUI....principally, there are far too many combinations of storages for PVE to support, and PVE has almost no hardware requirements at all, certainly not strict ones. VMDK is the least preferred format for virtual disks so we have to convert the template disk to what is appropriate for the destination storage. The OVF could be for a little firewall or TKL appliance or it could be a production file server. The OVF is arbitrarily and potentially impossibly large, and to ask that pveproxy staging the uploaded data from the web browser in /tmp, and it's not a good idea to assume /tmp is a good place to receive an OVF and converting a VMDK here. New users even have trouble importing ISOs this way rather than just using SSH/SFTP.

Last edited:
Just because you're right doesn't mean you need to be rude about it. If your intent is to put all the coddled VMWare users on blast so they don't pollute Proxmox with their lack of knowledge and bad habits, you're on the right track. I hope Proxmox (the business) is ok with that.

"Proxmox functions differently at a core level and isn't well suited to OVA/OVF imports without some knowledge of where the files are going. It's part of the reason it can be done from the CLI, but is really difficult to do properly from a WebUI. Plus, there are some design decisions around qcow over vmdk that are well considered and not likely to change any time soon, for good reason. Because of all of this it's probably not something Proxmox will prioritize."

This is a nicer response than calling out someone's preference for 10-ply, and it still discourages the people who really are clueless.

Also, I'll say that I've personally made the following progression in my home setup. ESXi->Xen->Nutanix CE->Proxmox->XCP-NG->PiMox->Proxmox. I found the details, minus the snark, of your description of OVA/OVF and VMDKs interesting. Seriously, thank you for that! And I've obviously gone through numerous VM migrations over the years, learning how to do it on my own. I admit I didn't parse the nuances of the different formats. For me it was always more about making things functional.

Anyway, I'm done arguing about this because we're not even arguing about the same thing. Feel free to respond further. I won't.

They just need to know they are coddled. They can pay to stay, or they can adapt to reality. To ask others to adapt to you, like elsewhere in life, is unproductive.

They just need to know they are coddled. They can pay to stay, or they can adapt to reality. To ask others to adapt to you, like elsewhere in life, is unproductive.

i'll put you in other words, one of the main features( even a deal breaker betwenn pve and other Hypervisor) is the export import of images , the import tools from esxi to proxmox in version 8.2 is a very nice feature( all my customers decide to use proxmox for that), I understand that perhaps the main goal is to persuid to create your own ecosystem, but we need to understand that, in a enterprise level, thinks like Importing VMs, HW Compatibility, and active community, Good documentation, a 24x7 support (not every one live in Europe) are very important. many of the people here are well instruted on Linux, LXC and a lot of things, but an automate form to import VMs will take less time than using the cli and do the process.
Sorry for my english, is not my main language, and its late here.

Reactions: Kingneutron
It should be okay. If it isn't marked in any way that would indicate it is done or only valid for a specific version, it is still valid for v8. :)
I know this is old but I eneded up creating VM's using vmdk disk format, created none root local user account for users to use to copy images (not ideal) and changing permissions on those VM id folders on the storage (also not ideal) . An OVA or evne Qcow import function would be nice. Evne if it's just adding a disk from your local drive or an http/scp/ftp link during creation.

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!