out of memory - starting new vm = crashing runnig vm

Shiba86

Aug 3, 2021
Hello Guys,
hope some know the following problem and maybay there is a solution or a workaround.

We are runnig VE 6.4-4 in our cluster environment.

7 Hosts
Ceph storage

- every single host runnig with 256 GB of memory

We are planning to install 4# MS Exchange Server VMs on this cluster.
Every VM gets 128 GB of memory.

So... now we are comming to the "Bug".

when I start one of the Exchange VMs, all is fine...

when I start a second Exchange VM on the same host, on which the first Exchange VM is runnig, I provoke an "out of memory" situation.
(2* 128 GB memory + host overhead = nor enough memory)

immediately after starting the second Exchange VM, the first VM crashing down without any information or log message.

I was wondering how can this happend on a "professional" solution?!

I expect a message like " you cant start the vm, not enough memory" or I expect a automatic migration task to an host with free memory.

Is this a known bug? Is there a fix or workaround?
Any recomandation?

Thanks for your input!

this is normal linux kernel behaviour, if you get into an oom sitation, the kernel "solves" it by killing a process
the solution here is not to overcommit your memory

if you are running ceph hyperconverged, to not forget that the osds /monitors need memory themselves, as well as the pve daemons

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!