Options missing from the Wiki page for the conf files of VMs for GPU passthrough?

Payden K Pringle

Nov 2, 2017
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Manual:_qm.conf

I've seen the following commands added to the cpu: options in threads where people have discussed GPU passthrough and the Nvidia Code 43 error issue:
  • hv_time
  • hv_vendor_id=null
  • kvm=off
I don't see any of these options mentioned under the CPU options in the wiki article. I imagine it hasn't been updated, but I'm trying to see what is available for me to configure. What I've tried haven't fixed my issues with passing through a GT 710 GPU.

I had read these were options you could use in QEMU/KVM so presumably any options there would work in the conf file, but again, the wiki doesn't list them, so I can't be sure.

Last edited:
Hi,

I don't see any of these options mentioned under the CPU options in the wiki article.

The reason for this is that this ain't PVE VM configuration options but native QEMU/KVM ones (i.e., the thing which the PVE stack manages through the much easier configuration file)
But, you can set "kvm=off" with the "hidden=1" flag and hv_time and the like gets automatically set if you set the OS Version to Windows 8/2012/2012r2 (ostype: win8) or Windows 10/2016 (ostype: win10).

For documentation about your mentioned options see
Code:
man kvm

I had read these were options you could use in QEMU/KVM so presumably any options there would work in the conf file, but again, the wiki doesn't list them, so I can't be sure.

Yes, any option from QEMU/KVM can be used and directly passed to the VM via the "args" property, but not all are available as a "normal" config property.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!