Optimizing performance - valuable tips and tricks welcomed!

Feb 21, 2023
I have a PVE cluster with two nodes and I'm eager to maximize their performance. I've initiated with pveperf to establish a baseline. What steps can I take to enhance their efficiency further?

PVEPERF shows the following

CPU BOGOMIPS: 23 998.92
REGEX/SECOND: 3 067 258
HD SIZE: 50.68 GB (/dev/mapper/pve-root)
BUFFERED READS: 261.99 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 0.21 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND: 751.72
DNS EXT: 43.79 ms
DNS INT: 37.62 ms (local)

CPU BOGOMIPS: 27 201.80
REGEX/SECOND: 2 867 825
HD SIZE: 64.06 GB (/dev/mapper/pve-root)
BUFFERED READS: 237.17 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 0.19 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND: 715.12
DNS EXT: 40.44 ms
DNS INT: 11.79 ms

Make sure you have a third vote (third node or QDevice) as this forum is full of problems with two-node clusters.
Maybe get enterprise SSDs and a faster local DNS server (I don't know why pveperf does not show buffered reads and seek time for me):
Bash:
CPU BOGOMIPS:      217597.44
REGEX/SECOND:      5246912
HD SIZE:           189.70 GB (tpool/test)
FSYNCS/SECOND:     10506.35
DNS EXT:           26.35 ms
DNS INT:           1.18 ms (lan)

Reactions: Kingneutron
What aspect of security will be affected by disabling mitigations ? I do have an pfSense infront of the PVE's... are the mitigations redundant then?
See all the hardware vulnerabilities like Spectre, Meltdown and so on. You can't fix the hardware, so you will have to fix them in software and this costs performance. You could disable those fixes and run the system with these unpatched hardware vulnerabilities by adding "mitigations=off" to your bootloader. But this for example would allow VM A to access data stored in RAM by VM B and similar. So it breaks the isolation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingneutron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!