OpenVPN AS in LXC - no local network access

greenleaf

Mar 6, 2023
Hello friends:

I followed Ryan Burnette's tutorial on how to install OpenVPN AS in an LXC container:
https://ryanburnette.com/blog/proxmox-openvpn-access-server/

The setup went fine and I'm able to connect both my android phone and Windows 11 laptop to the VPN. So far so good.

But the problem is once I connect to the VPN I lose all ability to connect to local machines or the Internet. Some troubleshooting reveals that if I enable split tunneling and allow the client to use it's own DNS (for example 8.8.8.8) then it is able to connect to internet websites as expected.

A couple other data points:

* The openvpn container can access both hosts on the LAN and on the internet just fine.
* The openvpn container is able to make DNS queries to my local DNS server/gateway
* I am even able to ping connected clients on the VPN network from the openVPN host

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!