Open-VZ, Samba and additional HDD(s)...

JoEl

Feb 21, 2013
After reading a lot, here is my first post...

The system has the following hardware:
HP ML350 with 2 Xeons / 8GB of RAM
6 SCSi-HDDs on a SmartArray-Controller
2 of them build a Raid 1 ==> /dev/cciss/c0d0
4 of them build a Raid 5 ==> /dev/cciss/c0d1
ProxMox is installed with default values on c0d0 (lvm etc.)
The first goal is to have a smb-server. Since i'm quite familar with samba i downloaded the turnkey-domain-controller template and let it run in an open-vz container.
Until here everything works fine, samba is up and accessible via the web-frontend. The PDC is visible by clients, shares can be created, etc...
Problem now is, that i want to share files which are on an existing NTFS-partition "/dev/cciss/c0d1p1" via SaMBa, but the partition doesn't show up, neither in proxmox-frontend nor in the container-frontend.

Until now I tried the following:
- logged in via ssh on the host system
- installed NTFS-Support with "apt-get install ntfs-3g"
- mounted the partition testwise manually to a directory "/storage". Worked fine, files are visible an accessible in the console, but nothing happened or showed in the samba container
- made the according entries in fstab an rebooted the machine: same result. Filesystem is mounted correctly but nothing "shareable" appears in host- or guest-frontend.
Hmmm... :confused:
Probably i have some some lacks in my understanding of the storage concept - could maybe someone light me the way? Thanks ...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!