One Promox showing all question marks on machines

Hi there, I was waiting for the issue to happen again.

I have moved the containers we had to another node, and now it is that node having the problem. So it seems to be linked to the containers. The firewall is also disabled on this node.

Here is the output of pvecm status:
View attachment 12416
Okay, so let's find out if this is linked to a specific container. You mentioned that pct list will hang, so this is probably related to the issue with pvestatd.
Could you try to find out which container is causing the issue? Can you do a pct status <CTID> for each of the containers? And post the config for the one causing the issues...

Okay, so let's find out if this is linked to a specific container. You mentioned that pct list will hang, so this is probably related to the issue with pvestatd.
Could you try to find out which container is causing the issue. Can you do a pct status <CTID> for each of the containers? And post the config for the one causing the issues...
I've just tried to use pct status against all 4 of the containers we have and it just hangs for all of them., I've let it run for a couple mins for each one and still just hanging.
Here is one of the config files, they all seem pretty much the same:

Attachments

• Proxmox Container.PNG
    Proxmox Container.PNG
    7.7 KB · Views: 11
Okay, than this is most probably related to the NFS share after all. Are the containers still running? Try if you have the same issue with another storage backend, e.g. CIFS.

Okay, than this is most probably related to the NFS share after all. Are the containers still running? Try if you have the same issue with another storage backend, e.g. CIFS.
So we have some usual VMs on the exact same storage and I can boot these up using cli fine and view their status etc. all within the proxmox node that is having the issue. It is only the containers that are not working, aside from the gui of course, for the one particular node.

This is a production environment so I can't make changes like that so easily.

We can't access the containers at all, either with pct enter or even just browsing to the html pages that they generate.

If it is NFS related, it should stop the other machines using that storage from working right?

It's worth noting that I can browse the storage in the /mnt/pve folder just fine.

Last edited:
I don't like to kill processes, but I killed the processes for the containers, after doing this the interface returned to normal.

I don't like to kill processes, but I killed the processes for the containers, after doing this the interface returned to normal.
Please check the journal in the containers for errors, maybe this gives some hints on where to look further.

Hi I had the same problem caused by a different entry in /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts
I returned the old host record when these VMs were installed

I typically hit this due to a storage issue from nfs. Are you positive your storage isn't having issues?

Thanks for this comment, it set me on the right track!
Had similar issues as OP.
All fixed now.

It was indeed an issue with NFS.
I'll look into this some more at a later stage, when I've confirmed the problem is solved.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!