One DataCenter, multiple Cluster

Alessandro Gennari

Oct 16, 2017
Hi all,
i've a goal for my project, manage all cluster in datacenter from one interface.

I make question before lab :)

Question :

- n.3 hosts for every cluster, in total 9 hosts divided in Cluster-1, Cluster-2, Cluster-3.
- every cluster have a CEPH storage built in full mesh directly to network board
- one cluster don't need access to ceph storage in other cluster
- all clusters have one storage shared (tipically a NFS)
- all clusters are backup up from one backup server (physical)

Imagine ONE DC, with 3 clusters, 3 hosts each, every with their CEPH and only one storage shared in NFS.

1 - is possibile this config type ?
2 - if is possible... is possible move one VM or storage from CEPH->TO NFS->TO CEPH in live mode ?

Thanx in advance for your response :)
Alessandro Gennari

You can mount NFS to all nodes, yet you may have problems with VMIDs.
While it's possible to carefully isolate independent clusters with VMID ranges, one mistake and you, @Alessandro Gennari , will have data corruption/loss on your hands.
The idea of moving VMs/disks from Ceph to NFS to then feed to another cluster, while possible, requires extremely careful coordination and manual management.
In short, if you don't put fool-proof procedures in place, you will lose data. There are no guardrails in PVE for what you are planning, you will have to create your own.

This type of migration will not be live. As @LnxBil mentioned for that you can just use "qm remote-migrate"

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: UdoB
Hi all,
thanx for your support.

If is possible migrate VM directly from one cluster to another thru QM REMOTE-MIGRATE i think is a good thing for now.

But is possible administer multiple cluster from one interface ?
I've not found evidence oof this :)

Thanx in advance !

you can migrate live cross-cluster command line only :

qm remote-migrate <vmid> [<target-vmid>] <target-endpoint> --target-bridge <string> --target-storage <string> [OPTIONS]

you can have differents storage,network,... no problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!