Offsite Backups PBS

Moonrocks

Apr 14, 2023
Hello,

I have a big pool of HDD storage in RAID 10 alongside NVMe Drives on my proxmox cluster.
The VM Data Drives are stored on the NVMe storage while backups are taken on the Local HDD Storage which is shared over NFS. The NFS share is in the same building as the Hypervisors.
In addition to the local HDD backup, I am looking into a mechanism to keep a copy of the backups at a remote (offshore) location which has around 70ms of latency and is running PBS accessible over public networking.
I have 10Gbit/s ports on each side so bandwidth isn't too much an issue. However, whenever the backup is running for a VM, it essentially becomes unresponsive. I did some digging and came to the understanding that the backup store is used as a buffer when the backup task is running for consistency reasons (correct me if I'm wrong) which would explain the unresponsiveness of the VM during backup.
I've considered using rsync from the HDD Pool backups but that would not be too practical since we have around 30TB of backups (considering that the data will be read from the HDD RAID which would be a bottleneck hence very time consuming - initial sync is doable but backing up all data every single time is not practical) and every rsync would essentially be non-incremental since the modified/created date on the vzdump file would be newer after the local backup is run.

Exact VM consistency is not a huge concern since this offsite backup is for worst-case disaster recovery scenarios only.

What are my options here?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi there. Welcome.
If I understand your needs, this feature is supported in the GUI.

Go in your PBS servers and set them up to talk to each other.
PBS console > Configuration > Remotes > Add
1723854205137.png

Go in your warehouse PBS Datastore and tell it to sync a copy of that backup.
PBS console > Datastore > select it > Sync Jobs tab > Add
Fill out the first tab, and then go to the second.
Group Filter > Add Include > Filter type: Group > Filter Value: Your VM ID here!!!

(Oh ... once you start doing this, you'll want to know about Namespaces.)

1723854364383.png

Last edited:
Hello,

Replying to this after a long time, Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!
Is it possible to sync backups from a standard Proxmox cluster to a PBS? I was able to add the proxmox cluster as a Remote on the PBS but when trying to add the sync job, It attempts to connect on port :8007 which gets refused. I changed the port on the PBS side for the remote to 8006 manually, however when I try to add the sync job it doesn't seem to work.

Screenshot 2024-10-11 at 1.01.44 AM.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!