Offsite backup store via PBS - no tapes

HiroPro

Apr 28, 2024
I've recently added a removable drive bay to my PBS chassis and PBS does see and is able to wipe/initialize. Is it possible to use this drive to copy all backups for off site storage?

Reactions: tcabernoch
You could use it as another Datastore and make use of a local sync job to copy data between datastores. And then use the maintainance mode when the drive isn't in use. But no, external disks or drive rotation isn't implemented yet. The common way to have offsite backups would be to get another PBS and make use of sync jobs to sync them.

Reactions: HiroPro
I'll defer to the Distinguished Member's advice. They probably actually know about this.

On the other hand, I see lots of tape features documented on Tape Backup wiki page.
Sure looks to me like the basics are here.
But I don't use tapes a lot, and I've never tried to use them with PBS.

Tell ya what. Do you know what you are doing? Read this.
https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/tape-backup.html#tape-quick-start
In what way does this feature set _not_ meet the need?

At some point, I'm going to build a VTL with an old storage server, and just see what it can do for me.
Proxmox directions for that here.
https://pbs.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Installing_a_Virtual_Tape_Library

Tape is implemented, swapable disk not yet. So the question is whats meant with "removable drive bay".

Dangit. I want an extra week or two to build out that QuadStore VTL.
I want to see it working. I want to know if it can support this "removable drive bay".

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!