Off-site backup - how do you do it?

grl

Renowned Member
Oct 20, 2011
As a bigger change in our infrastructure is right around the corner we're also thinking about new strategies for offsite-backups.
For now we use a dark fiber to another site - so we had no worries with bandwidth and backup times. Just deploy a big enough storage on that remote site and see your data fly there via a 1GBit/s dedicated, rocksolid and stable connection.

Unfortunately we're going to loose that great connection - so we have to deal with a 30MBit/s "normal" internet connection in the future - and have to share that with the "normal" internet traffic we need.
We've a bunch of VMs and a file server that need about 1TB backup space all together right now - that is a bit much for that low bandwidth to backup it every night.

I'd love to know how proxmox ve users around the world handle that.
Cloud-storage? With which protocol? Do you use public services or do you host your own infrastructure somewhere in a datacenter?
Tapes? Where do you store them? Do you have SOPs for the loss of a tape?

regards
Lukas

I'd love to know how proxmox ve users around the world handle that.

... me too ;)

Some thoughts from my "world" -;)
- it is not so important if you have 1 Tb or sevaral Tb, but the new increment data that you have (one thing is to add 100 Mb/day as new data and other thing is to add 200 Gb/day)
- if you use zfs it is very effective to use pve-zsync from main DC to a remote DC (it is incremental), something similar could be in case of ceph (as I read on this forum )
- you can use also a cloud provider if you trust them
- tapes are very good but you need a lot of money for them

Good luck/ Bafta

As @guletz already described, ZFS is a bit win. We just snapshot our servers regularly and do incremental send/receive to our off-site-backup server. We also do external backups from the backup site via single hard disk ZFS pools and do incremental send/receive backups as well.

Hi,

As a side note, zfs send/recive is the best tool, because zfs knows what are new blocks of data. Any other method like borg are using the file-system information, so it will need to read ALL metdata and also many files. And if you have millions of files, this will take a lot of time(find the files to copy, open file, transsfer file, close file = a lot of files op).

Good luck /Bafta!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!