NVME drive advice for VM and NAS

gianry

Aug 16, 2024
Hi, I'd like to use a nas virtual machine . I run Proxmox on a miniPC .

Could you give me an advice on a very reliable nvme drive to use with VM images and store the shared data for NAs.

I've seen WD red nvme drives as Samsung PM9A1 or PM9A3 .

thanks

In my homelab I am using Kingston KC3000 2TB NVM. They have been reliable for almost 2 years now, but I think any reputable NVM will be ok.

Enterprise grade drives will usually be the better choice, but not always feasible for homelab use.

I still think it's better an enterprise grade storage .. I wait some other suggestion for a 500 gb drive

I'm very happy with a Micron 7450 (PRO or MAX) M.2 because it has high fsync/sec due to the PLP. Maybe search the forum for PLP (or QLC, which almost always also contain advise for better/enterprise drives).
Please tell me the operational temperature of this micron .

here Micron 7450 PRO 1,92 TB.
It's reliable and has rock stable write speed.
NVMe size 110mm longer instead regular NVMe 80mm.
I doubt fit in mini pc + require good heatsink (I've Antec p180 case with only 2 fans from Thermalright Silver Arrow from 2010 era), as without can't handle substain writes : I burned my finger after the first failed clone.

Reactions: gianry
here Micron 7450 PRO 1,92 TB.
It's reliable and has rock stable write speed.
NVMe size 110mm longer instead regular NVMe 80mm.
I doubt fit in mini pc + require good
This is the information I need .

Probably all the nvme drives of this category need an heatsink or fan ..

I thought to use a standard nvme for proxmox boot and an external drive for VM and data

There is the WD red series in my top list

if you don't use ZFS , keep NVMe 80mm like Samsung PM9Ax then external drive as backup.

I 'd like to use ZFS ; all the enterprise drives under 500 gb are 80mm .. why don't you recommend drive samsung ?

for me, ZFS is too angry and too slow for non Datacenter grade SSD + useless without mirror.

in mini pc, I would use the default ext4 (with Lvmthin for VM) then daily backup PBS to external disk.

now I'm using a SKHynix BC711 and it seams to work very well at very low temp

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!