NVIDIA vGPU for LXC containers, stuck at renderD128 w/no major/minor

canuckcam

Jun 12, 2021
Looking to have vGPU support in Plex and Frigate LXC containers. Stuck right now where I should see a major/minor set next to renderD128. But it's on root with no numbers. I did a chown 666 on it to assign to the render group but no idea how to fix the major/minor where I expect to see 226 and something else to pass through to the LXC?

Code:
root@pve:~# ls -l /dev/dri
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root       60 Aug 29 01:17 by-path
crw-rw---- 1 root video  226, 0 Aug 29 01:17 card0
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root render      0 Aug 29 01:18 renderD128

HP Z4 G4, Xeon W2135
Proxmox 8.2.4, 6.8.12-1-pve kernel
NVIDIA NVS 310 for local console
Tesla P4 for vGPU passthrough to Plex and Frigate LXCs
PVE has NVIDIA 535.161.05-vgpu-kvm drivers, patched with PolloLoco

I've followed the PolloLoco instructions and I can get a vGPU successfully passed through to a Windows VM but I've worked on the LXC issue for weeks. I think I've read pretty much every reddit, github and proxmox forum thread so much so that I'm getting muddy with information overload. Also trying to figure out what advice is current and lots of info with passthrough and VM usage but very little for LXCs. I've tried to install v17 550.54.10 drivers, but I can't get it to compile on the 6.8 kernel but really should stick with v16 anyway with the older Tesla P4 card. Would going with an Intel ARC GPU make things easier?

nvidia-smi
Code:
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 535.161.05             Driver Version: 535.161.05   CUDA Version: N/A      |
|-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name                 Persistence-M | Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp   Perf          Pwr:Usage/Cap |         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                                         |                      |               MIG M. |
|=========================================+======================+======================|
|   0  Tesla P4                       Off | 00000000:15:00.0 Off |                    0 |
| N/A   52C    P0              24W /  75W |     31MiB /  7680MiB |      0%      Default |
|                                         |                      |                  N/A |
+-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Processes:                                                                            |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                            GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                             Usage      |
|=======================================================================================|
|  No running processes found                                                           |

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!