NVIDIA GT218 ...conflicts with ubuntu 18 or bad passthrough?

GarrettB

Jun 4, 2018
I am passing through a second GPU. The first was successful (Radeon R5 230 and I figured it out on Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18), and so I had the confidence to try again with another card. Another OLDER card.

Please check my process on a Nvidia GT218 GeForce on an Ubuntu 18.04 DESKTOP install:
  • GPU specs say it's not EFI enabled, so I am using SeaBIOS
  • lspci on host shows it has a VGA controller and HDMI audio channel
  • I added those IDs to the blacklist.conf file
  • I couldn't get the rom file to dump, but I did find it online: EVGA.G210.1024.120831.rom and added it to the vmid.conf line which now looks like this:
    • hostpci0: 06:00,pcie=1,romfile=EVGA.G210.1024.120831.rom
    • NOTE: when I added the "vga=on" tag it said it couldn't accept it, so I removed it from the command line
  • If I run an Ubuntu install on the VM using a CD iso, the install app will show up on the physical monitor just fine - this proves it works and passes through okay
  • The entire OS install process shows up as a blank console in the proxmox gui console and it captures my mouse movement, and keyboard inputs, though does not show the graphical desktop. I would expect the SPICE vnc to not work at all...but this is because of lacking the x-vga tag I guess?
  • Once installation is done and the VM reboots...GUI no longer works except on Proxmox console. The physical monitor doesn't get hit at all in the bootup process.
  • The GPU shows up in the VM lspci:
    • 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)
      01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
  • I have even followed all of the Nvidia driver update tutorials but I can't seem to nail down any errors.

Question: Why does it passthrough right away when using the Proxmox CD drive and throughout the installation, but then no longer work after that? I'm guessing there is something about the Ubuntu OS that hates the Nvidia card.

if you want to use the nvidia gpu as boot gpu, i would recommend to add the 'x-vga=on' parameter (can you post what did not work and the exact error message?)
if you simply want to use the gpu, you would have to configure the gpu in the guest via xorg.conf i guess

if you want to use the nvidia gpu as boot gpu, i would recommend to add the 'x-vga=on' parameter (can you post what did not work and the exact error message?)
if you simply want to use the gpu, you would have to configure the gpu in the guest via xorg.conf i guess
The x-vga=on parameter will cause the VM to not load. I guess the card does not support it.

I am working on xorg.conf and will post results...

I gave up after trying pretty much everything. With no UEFI support, and with a whole bunch of various Nvidia issues with Linux it wasn't worth it. Oh well.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!