Notification system From (Author) address not showing in backup emails

ilium007

Feb 25, 2020
I have set up an SMTP notification target (Google Workspace) that uses the smtp-relay.gmail.com host and no authentication (src IP verification). When I test using the PVE > Notifications > Test button the test email comes through as "Author <email@address.com". When I use the same notification target from a backup job it comes from:

Code:
vzdump backup tool <no-reply@xxxx.com.au>

with a subject of:

Code:
vzdump backup status (pve01.xxxx.local): backup successful

PVE docs say that email should come from $author:

The From header in the email will be set to $author <$from-address>.

Where can I configure from address and subject line for vzdump operatoins?

Could you share your /etc/pve/notifications.cfg and /etc/pve/jobs.cfg (at least the part with the backup job this issue is about) files? Be sure to mask out any sensitive parts.

I'm struggling to reproduce this issue here on my end.
Where can I configure from address and subject line for vzdump operatoins?

Author/From-Address should be configurable from the SMTP target settings. The subject line itself is not configurable at the moment (technically it is rendered from a template in /usr/share/pve-manager/templates/default/vzdump-subject.txt.hbs, but any changes to this file might be overwritten during in a package update. We plan to expose the notification templates to user at some point via an override mechanism, but no ETA on that).

Oh, and what is the output of pveversion -v?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!