Not seen partitions on virtual drive within VM

Asiier

Apr 15, 2020
Hey everybody!
My problem begins when I tried to add additional storage to one of my VMs.
I did the usual "Resize disk" from Proxmox and then I wanted to expand the partition inside my VM, so I have all the storage available.
Well, the second part didn't go that well, since when I do "fdisk -l" I indeed see the full available capacity but no partition is showing.
Doing:
Code:
df -h
/dev/sdc        2.0T  1.8T  121G  94% /WD6TB
Does report a partition properly mounted and all my files are inside, so I'm not sure If that's a bug or I'm doing something wrong.
Annotation 2020-07-22 225338.png

Further more, I tried the same on another drive just creating a new partition. But now that drive does have a UUID, so I cannot mount it, still shows in "fdisk -l" with the new partition but I, seemingly, don't have a way to access it.
With this other drive I'd like to be more careful since there is a lot of files that I don't want to lose.

I'm using Proxmox 6.2-10 and the VM is running Ubuntu Server 20.03 LTS.
I'm not sure If I should share any other specifications.

Thank you in advance!

Code:
df -h

/dev/sdc        2.0T  1.8T  121G  94% /WD6TB

This looks like you created the filesystem directly on the disk and not inside a partition and have it mounted at /WD6TB. I don't know how well the VM will react to an online increase of size there. You could try to reboot the VM and then extend the FS.

But now that drive does have a UUID, so I cannot mount it, still shows in "fdisk -l" with the new partition but I, seemingly, don't have a way to access it.
Do you have any more information or error messages? A UUID should not cause problems.

Reactions: Asiier
This looks like you created the filesystem directly on the disk and not inside a partition and have it mounted at /WD6TB. I don't know how well the VM will react to an online increase of size there. You could try to reboot the VM and then extend the FS.
Yeah, I think I did that.
Formatted all the disk and then partition it to the full size but when resizing the disk on previous time, it would still detect the old partition.
I'm guessing that's not the smartest approach right?
What would it be the command exactly? As I said, I'd not like to lose any data as I don't have (and not able to have) backups of all of it.
I tried "parted-l" and got this: (Everything after a reboot)

Code:
parted -l
Model: QEMU QEMU HARDDISK (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 32.2GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name  Flags
 1      1049kB  2097kB  1049kB                     bios_grub
 2      2097kB  32.2GB  32.2GB  ext4

Disk /dev/sdb: 4295GB
Partition Table: loop
Disk Flags:

Number  Start  End     Size    File system  Flags
 1      0.00B  4295GB  4295GB  ext4

Error: /dev/sdc: unrecognised disk label
Disk /dev/sdc: 698GB
Partition Table: unknown
Disk Flags:

Do you have any more information or error messages? A UUID should not cause problems.
I used this guide: https://access.redhat.com/articles/1190213
There is no longer a partition showing on "df -h"
And when doing "fdisk -l" I get:
Annotation 2020-07-23 111705.png
But that drive doesn't show under "/dev/drives/by-uuid"
Annotation 2020-07-23 111759.png

I tried detaching and reading the disk and it's the same thing.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!