[SOLVED] Noobish question- configuring new hard drive for storage

blueduckdock

Renowned Member
Mar 18, 2016
I've read over the documentation here- https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model and done light searching but not sure of the best way to go.

Right now I have Proxmox 4.1 on a 128GB SSD along with a 500GB spinner too. I ended up creating LVM on that 500 but I think I'd rather go with "directory" mode as it seems more capable (stores more types of files, can be used for snapshots, etc.) As far as I can see, the main benefit of LVM is migration and HA (which I will not be using as this is just a homelab.) I will also not be using ZFS unless very advisable since I will have the 1) SSD 2) 500GB hdd and 3) 1.5TB hdd that I found while cleaning. No real good way to do a zpool, etc. with that.

So I guess my questions are 1) am I right with going for directory mode as the best option here and 2) how do I configure that? Do I just format each disk as ntfs or ext3/4 or what and how do I mount that? I think I ended up doing LVM mainly too because I did not see a clear way to add the 500gb to my install at first (in directory mode.)

I haven't configured much on it just yet and the only thing I want to keep is a raw VM of ubuntu that is sitting as my Plex server (not a big deal but I have it backed up so I should be able to transfer it then restore it later.)

Any help is appreciated. Not unfamiliar with Linux but I am a complete noob with Proxmox. Thanks

Edit- Dolt! Not 10 seconds after posting I see the adding a HDD link at the bottom of the storage model which gets me here- http://www.debiantutorials.com/how-...-or-partition-using-uuid-and-ext4-filesystem/
I think that answers absolutely all my questions and I am quite comfortable with fstab, etc. Didn't see a way to delete this so if the mods want, go for it. Otherwise I'll leave it for the next guy who just can't seem to see the links in front of his face.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!