Noob questions: Shrink VM disk, containers on VM

rapidwaters

Sep 30, 2020
I am trying something new and I am no computer engineer nor I have any CLI background until recently when I started tinkering. I just had an SMB file server using OMV until now. I started to look into some youtube videos and understood the benefits of virtualization and containerization. I got a used HP server at an affordable price.
First thing I did was install proxmox. I have 3 HDDs (465 G) plugged into the server and I did a ZFS (RAIDZ1) install. Allocated 32G to pve-root (local) and the remaining (around 900 G) to pve-data (local-zfs).

I created an OMV VM and used 32 G from local-zfs for the OS and almost the entire remaining space on local-zfs i.e., 850 G for OMV data storage. I mounted this virtual disk in the VM and then I realized I cannot containerize pfsense. Having said that, even if I could, there would be a bit of a learning curve on how to do that with an OMV VM. Anyway, now I need to create some space for the pfsense VM on my local-zfs (pve-data) disk. Is there a simple way to shrink my OMV virtual disk (scsi1) space from say 850 G to 750 G and then use the remaining 100 G for pfsense VM? I prefer to do this without having to re-install OMV and recreate/restore data in my Shares (currently sitting at 100 G which is backed up).

Are there any concerns with running docker on OMV VM in proxmox? I read some articles that suggested having a separate VM run docker or simply running it directly on proxmox. I prefer to not use proxmox for anything other than VMs. I did try to install docker on OMV VM using instructions from this video but I lost the OMV data disk upon restart (filesystem showed disk was missing). I tried looking for answers but I eventually had to reinstall OMV from scratch as I could neither mount it not schedule a job to automount it at reboot.

This is a learning exercise that I undertook as a hobby as I stay at home most of the time. Eventually I would like to upgrade my equipment and have my own network firewall, file server, backup server, cloud storage, possibly email (if I am capable of getting there). Forgive me for my ignorance if some of these questions should be posted in an OMV forum. Any other suggestions are welcome.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!