node 1 magically rebooted

C

Chris Rivera

If i was to reboot a server from the ssh i can see that the reboot command can be found in history.

But what about if a node was rebooted from the proxmox web interface? I do not see this logged in the proxmox logs at the bottom of the interface.
How can i track this down?

Node 1 has no reported shutdown or reboot log in proxmox or history, yet it was rebooted successfully 45 minutes ago.

How can i track this down. This has happened before some time ago and searching thru all the logs leads to nothing. Can anyone help to figure out how, why, and how to stop this from happening.

I am working on implementing a script to send me an email when a node is shut down and when it reboots so we are notified when this is done.

You didn't state what hardware this is running on. I mention that because I know HP for example has a spiffy ASR (Automatic Server Recovery) feature in their servers. If the server becomes unresponsive for a period of time longer than the timeout value it basically does a hard reset of the server. I know this from first hand experience. That's why I turn it off now days.

You should also be able to look in /var/log/messages, look for a line that contains something like kernel: Linux version which is one of the first lines in the log after a system start up. Then scroll back 10~20 lines or so to see if you have any lines mentioning shutting down or stopped. Those lines are usually there when a server is shutdown with a proper reboot or shutdown command. But they won't be there if something like ASR took down your server.

Of course, I'm assuming you have solid power to the server.

Hope that helps a little.

--
Brian

If i was to reboot a server from the ssh i can see that the reboot command can be found in history.

You will see the same logs if you reboot using the GUI. Additionally, all GUI commands are logged in the PVE task log.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!