No virtualization on HP t630 available, why?

SunboX

Jun 10, 2024
Hi,

I installed Proxmox (latest) on a HP t630 (bare metal). But when I try to setup a VM (Home Assistant), I'm getting an exception "TASK ERROR: KVM virtualisation configured, but not available. Either disable in VM configuration ...". The BIOS is up-to-date (v1.17). I also checked that the Virtualization is Active in the BIOS (enabled).

If I run lsmod I'm getting this:

Code:
root@pve:~# lsmod | grep kvm
kvm                  1372160  0
irqbypass              12288  1 kvm
root@pve:~#

I re-Installed Proxmox again ... but same behavior. What could be wrong?

greetings,
André

Hi,

Virtualization is Active in the BIOS (enabled).
depending on the firmware, there can be multiple options related to virtualization, so it might need something else.

on a HP t630
Seeing as this is a thin client, it might have some shoddy BIOS/firmware.

You can post the kernel log (dmesg -H) if you want, maybe there are some more clues/errors there. (Best to attach it as a file, as it might get quite long).

Reactions: SunboX
Hi,

depending on the firmware, there can be multiple options related to virtualization, so it might need something else.

Seeing as this is a thin client, it might have some shoddy BIOS/firmware.

You can post the kernel log (dmesg -H) if you want, maybe there are some more clues/errors there. (Best to attach it as a file, as it might get quite long).
Hi,

first, thanks for your help! I can't see any more virtualization related config in the BIOS menu. ALso no overclocking stuff.

Please find the dmesg output attached.

greetings,
André

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    74.2 KB · Views: 4
... I can see

[ +0.030981] kvm_amd: NX (Execute Disable) not supported

in the dmesg log. What does this mean?

greetings,
André

Have you tried turning off in the VM options KVM Hardware Virtualization ?
Your probably going to get shoddy performance, but its worth testing to see if error goes away.

Yes, I guess that will work. But the machine should be capable of hardware virtualization. So I would rather like to find the root cause of the issue than work around it. :)

greetings,
André

I'd start by updating the BIOS. Check the version you have then go here, I believe there is a BIOS release from May 12, 2024, ver. 00.01.17 Rev.A

You may find there some other drivers/utilities you may require. (I haven't checked).

Last edited:
I found the issue and got it working! For anyone who comes across this, I had to enabled Data Execution Prevention (DEP) in the BIOS next to Virtualization. Otherwise it wouldn't work.

PXL_20240613_072748961 (1).jpg

greetings,
André

Reactions: leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!