no storage available for backups

spergberger

Jun 26, 2024
Hi all.

I have a big software RAID disk I'm using for Longhorn volumes but I'd like to use it to backup VMs as well. The entire RAID5 device appears as a single volume group when I browse
Datacenter
pve1
Disks
LVM
sataraid
and the Longhorn volumes show up as /dev/sataraid/vm-102-disk-0, /dev/sataraid/vm-103-disk-0 etc.

My storage.cfg is below. I appended ",backup" to the content line and ran 'systemctl daemon-reload' but the device is not available for backups in the GUI. Is there another daemon I need to reload? Do I need to create a big logical volume using shell commands to hold all my future backups?

dir: local
path /var/lib/vz
content vztmpl,iso
lvmthin: local-lvm
thinpool data
vgname pve
content images,rootdir
lvm: nvme1
vgname vm0
content images,rootdir
saferemove 0
shared 0
lvm: md0
vgname sataraid
content rootdir,images,backup
saferemove 0
shared 0

I tried running

pvesm set md0 --disable 0
and saw the error:
storage does not support content type 'backup'

OK. Needs to be a 'directory.' So I created a logical volume and wrote a xfs filesystem to it then mounted it.
/etc/pve/storage.cfg has these lines now:

dir: backup
path /mnt/backup
content images,rootdir,backup

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!