No network-connectivity from moved PBS on PVE

basstscho

Jan 23, 2024
I have a strange symptom, which can belong to the pve or pbs.
We moved a virtual pbs from an esxi host to a pve 8.2 host. On this host there are already several VMs. All of them work fine. Unfortunately I don't get the network connection running from the moved pbs. It has two network interfaces: One on VLAN 100 and another on VLAN 16. The PVE itself is also on VLAN 100 (and 16).

Network-Config PVE:
config_network.png

Config pbs-is VM:
config_vm.png

The pve can reach all "external" hosts in the 10.10.100.0/24 subnet. Also other VMs on the host with a VLAN 100 interface can reach the PVE and "external" hosts. So it has to be an issue within the pbs itself, or the vm-config of the pve. After moving the vm from exsi to proxmox I had to change in the /etc/network/interfaces the interface names and rebooted. IPs are assigned well and everything looks fine for me. But a ping doesn't reach it's destination.

vm.png

In the last days I moved over 50 VMs from ESXI to PVE-hosts. Most of them were debian and after renaming the interfaces in the /etc/network/interfaces everything worked well. Do I overlook something or is there something specical with the pbs networkconfiguration?

Thank you and best,
Johannes

It has not to many lines

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto ens18
iface ens18 inet static
        address 10.10.100.230/24
        gateway 10.10.100.1
#management

auto ens19
iface ens19 inet static
        address 192.168.16.202/24
#storage

I recognized, that the connection from other VMs to VLAN 100 was not always stable and played arround on a test server. I'm not sure why, but it looks like it did the trick: Connecting the Linux VLAN (VLAN raw device) to vmbr0 and not to bond0. Maybe somebody has a technical explenation for that?!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!