No internet connection host / containers

TechnoPhyle

Jul 2, 2024
Hi,

I just did a motherboard swap because it was defective, but now I've lost my internet connection. (Plugged the SSD with Proxmox into the new mobo and it boots just fine).

Both the new and old motherboard use the same network controller (Intel 82574L) so I don't think it is a driver issue. Also I'm connected to the machine via IPMI (shared connection), so I know the physical connection is OK. (IPMI works and I can ping the BMC IP)

After Proxmox boot it shows the ip address for the web interface, but I cannot connect to it.
From inside the Proxmox host I cannot ping (destination host unreachable), same when I try from inside a container. In my router IP table there is no IP assigned to Proxmox.

Attached are
ip -c a
cat /etc/network/interfaces
cat /etc/resolv.conf

The problem is that I'm a linux noob. From what I understand linux configures the correct network settings during install, but this Proxmox disk was not installed on this motherboard. So I suspect there is a simple mistake in my network configuration. However I'm not able to interpret the outcome of the commands in the attachments.

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• ip a.png
    ip a.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 2
  • interfaces.png
    interfaces.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 2
  • resolv.png
    resolv.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Solved
-/etc/network/interfaces change bridge-ports to enp2s0 (see ip -c a for correct interface name)
-bring network interface up: ip link set dev enp2s0 up
-reboot

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!