NICs for cluster and NAS

penguin2020

Jul 2, 2018
Hi all

I have a doubt
I'm at OVH with 2 dedicated servers for now
I only have two NICs on each server

Also a separate physical NAS server
Can I use a same NIC ( of each server) for cluster and NAS communication?
The NAS server (Mounted with NFS for backups to nodes) is used only at night for the backup of virtual machines, it is not used to host vdisk.
I'm using vRack on the internal network with 500 Mb / s bandwidth
Thank you for your recommendations!

Hey,

yes you can use it for both, of course, when the backups are running the performance is less then normal, bur if your maximum bandwidth for backup is 500Mbit/s then I dont see any problems...

Hi, jlebherz thanks for your comment
The vRack only gives 500 Mbits in total for the internal connection (I'm going to ask if an upgrade can be done) , that bandwidth would be for both (Cluster / communication with the NAS)
Do you think that, in the hours that the backups are executed, the cluster breaks down, disconnects, or something happens with the VMs due to the high use of the network?
regards

great, i will
My NAS is on the same VRack,( internal network) but it has a 1 Gbit / s bandwidth.

My fear is that the first server is already in production with several machines and containers running :( the second server is just installed Proxmox and it's clean

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!