NFS Shares: storage is not online (500)

arnaud056

Renowned Member
Jan 3, 2016
Hello forum,

I've got this issue between 2 proxmox servers (v4 and v5, both up-to-date, both physical machines connected by a switch).
Both machines can ping each-other and their IP and hostname are present into the /etc/hosts of the other machine.

I used this simple method that worked well a few years ago but now I get a "NFS Shares: storage is not online (500)" by configuring the nfs storage of the client machine.

On the server machine:
# ls -l /home/
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 déc. 27 20:54 nfs <= that is the shared folder

/etc/exports:
/home/nfs 192.168.20.132(rw,sync,no_subtree_check) <= the IP of a "test-client" fedora
/home/nfs 192.168.20.150(rw,sync,no_subtree_check) <= the IP of the proxmox client
/home/nfs 192.168.20.160(rw,sync,no_subtree_check) <= the IP of the proxmox server itself (for tests)

/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny are empty.

On the proxmox client machine:
# cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
nfs: nfs_proxmox
export /home/nfs
path /mnt/pve/nfs_proxmox
server 192.168.20.160 <= the IP of the proxmox nfs server
content vztmpl,iso,rootdir,images,backup
maxfiles 20
options vers=3

# mount -t nfs 192.168.20.160:/home/nfs /mnt/proxmox-asrock
gets in time-out.

# showmount -e 192.168.20.160
Export list for 192.168.20.160:
/home/nfs 192.168.20.160,192.168.20.132,192.168.20.150
This result is correct, but I'm very surprised that it takes more than 1 min. to get it.

From the fedora test client: it is the same: mounting gets in time out.

From the proxmox server itself: the nfs connection on itself works good and immediately => I assume that /etc/export is correct.

Does somebody has got an idea where the issue could come from?
Thanks in advance.
Regards
Arnaud

Hi again,
in between I had the glorious idea to connect directly the proxmox nfs server to the test client fedora (= with a hub and not wit the switch) => the nfs share worked immediately.

The issue must therefore come from the switch, but I've got no idea which setting can block the nfs sharing.
What I can say is that the connection between all the machines works over a VLAN:
- by both proxmox machines, the network setting of the servers are without VLAN and the switch is set to put the interfaces where both proxmox are connected to into the VLAN (=connection to the VLAN done by the switch)
- by the test client fedora, it is the contrary: the connection to the VLAN is done by the machine and not by the switch

For the connection over the hub, I set the fedora client not to use the VLAN.

Is VLAN a problem for NFS sharing?
Which parameter of the switch (HP) could make trouble?

Thanks.
Arnaud

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!