NFS proxmox storage like docker volume ?

vesuvienne

Jun 7, 2024
hi teams!

there is a way to use proxmox storage like docker volume ?
* do i need NFS VM or NFS container to accomplish this ?
* i want share some data across VM
* i want share some data across VM on different Node
* i already have a disk with data on it(running on debian) i need to keep the data on it, is it possible to plug the disk in proxmox and share it across VM without wiping the disk ?
thx!

there is a way to use proxmox storage like docker volume ?
* do i need NFS VM or NFS container to accomplish this ?
* i want share some data across VM
* i want share some data across VM on different Node
NFS or CIFS is normally the way to go in a cluster environment.

i already have a disk with data on it(running on debian) i need to keep the data on it, is it possible to plug the disk in proxmox and share it across VM without wiping the disk ?
"across VM" as in concurrent access? No, also just via NFS and CIFS.

Reactions: vesuvienne
hi team!
if i want mount my disk(disk have data on it) inside my NFS VM
is this the only way to do it?
qm set ID_VM -scsi1 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Samsung_SSD_840_EVO_250GB_ID

perfect ! thx for your help, you're the G.O.A.T

Sry, i still have some last question :
1. why using NFS VM if i can simply mount the disk inside the desired VM ? For security ?
2. can i mount the disk like this qm set ID_VM -scsi1 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Samsung_SSD_840_EVO_250GB_ID in multiple VM ?
3. what's the good practice for storage with proxmox? i'm wondering if i should copy my data on another disk then wipe the disk->create LVM-> put the data back in the desired NFS VM ?

Last edited:
why using NFS VM if i can simply mount the disk inside the desired VM ? For security ?
you can only add the disk to ONE VM at a time, if you need the data in multiple machines at the same, you need to share the files via NFS/CIFS.

can i mount the disk like this qm set ID_VM -scsi1 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Samsung_SSD_840_EVO_250GB_ID in multiple VM
Yes, yet IT MUST not be accessed at the same time, this would lead to data corruption in you could loose everything.

what's the good practice for storage with proxmox?
There is no simple answer to that. It all depends on so many things ....

Most enterprise setups are in a way that you raid all your disks together and then slice if up for each VM so that ALL your data is in one storage system. You layer your whole system and each layer provides its own security, fault tolerance and such, yet you try to keep it simple in each layer, so ONE storage is seen by your hypervisor with all the data in it and not split it on single disks.

This is also a good idea at home, so at least have a mirror or two disks (same size). I would never store data just on one disk. You always want to have at least the 3-2 rule of the 3-2-1 backup rule at a minimal setup in a DIY lab.

Reactions: vesuvienne

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!