NFS on pve 2.1 & OS X Finder client

alchemycs

Dec 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
alchemycs.com
Hello all,

I have been racking my brain to try and find a solution for this problem I'm having with the NFS server on PVE 2.1.
The problem is this:
I have several directories with a large number of large files in them; I can share those directories via NFS v3 & mount them on other Linux machines without any major problems.

The problem comes when I mount them from a Mac OS X client.
I can mount it from within Finder (I have specified the insecure option) and do pretty much anything I need to do with the files from within the Terminal.app, but when I use Find to look into these directories with a large number (>300) of large files (>500GB total), Finder just hangs & spins its "processing" circle & never resolves it.
If I create a similarly large number of empty files, then it displays them after only a brief pause, and if I have a small number of larger files, it displays them as well.

I am trying to migrate from an older RHEL 5 server where this works without a problem.

Originally I was trying to migrate to an OpenVZ container & ran into this problem, but found the exact situation occurs when I share NFS directly on the bare metal server.

Any suggestions on things to try?
I've tried turning off icon-preview, but that doesn't help, and like I mentioned, the RHEL server has been doing this for years without a problem.
I have also noticed that after Finder has been hanging for a long while, the NFS share will stop responding within the Terminal.app as well.

Thank you!

The Mac does funny things to mounted file systems, it's sticks all this meta data into each directory which takes time. It should get faster once it's done, also the permissions might slow that process.

Ah! Yes, I don't know why I forgot those files this time round; they have been a source of many problems in the past (though not for several years)...
Thank you for reminding me!
I just deleted all the .DS_Store and ._* files that the Macs created and things seem to be working great now!
Thank you!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!