[SOLVED] Newbie questionning

ramirez22

Aug 25, 2024
France, Bourgueil
Hello.

First, sorry for my bad english, it's not my natural language.
I discover proxmod few time ago and really love it.
But I need some informations (in simple words please, I am a half century newbie geek ;))

Hardware:
  • 1 tiny PC (core i7, 16Go, 1 SSD 256Go) and I installed Proxmox with only one VM for home assistant (with some add-on, especialy Frigate). Some USB devices attached (TPU Coral for Frigate and Zigbee dongle). Call it Alpha.
  • 1 another tiny PC less powerfull (core i5, 8Go, 1 SSD 128Go) not used at this time. Call it Beta.
  • a NAS Asustor with RAID 5, 3 disks of 4 To.
Not possible for me to add another server : price, power ... It's for personnal project, with familly budget. I have no need of HA (it's only domotic).

Hope:
  • I want migrate my home assistant in Alpha to Beta, ideally without redo all the pairing and other setting. The reason is simple : Home Assistant no need a big CPU to run. The Zigbee dongle will be attached to this machine
  • I want to create a VM on Alpha to have a separate Frigate machine (I can do it myself, no need help for this point :)) because Frigate need more power and more space disk. The Coral TPU will be attached to this machine.
  • I want to make home assistant VM backup (on Beta now) to Alpha disk, and make Frigate VM backup to Beta disk.

Why this cross backup ?
  • Home assistant don't need a big partition size (30 Go is enought). So have a 128 Go SSD is a space wasteful. Same for Frigate.
  • To be able to quiclky start the VM on a server if the another crash (domotic is pretty cool, but without server, it's less usuable :D). So only have to restore the backup on the ather server and move usb devices.

Do you think it's possible ? And how ? With cluster ?

I try to made a cluster, but I have an error when I want to join with the machine cause already contain virtual guest. Cluster can only be done with clean config ?

Thanks for attention and help

Ok, I found another way more secure in my opinion.
I post it here, to help people who have same problem.

I create a NFS shared directory in my NAS, and add a storage NFS on each proxmox server.
Like this, each server can acces to the backup of the other.

I try a migration and all work like a charm : no problem with USB permutation (use vendor/device ID).

So now, local backup of each VM/LXC and distant backup on NAS.

Thanks for attention and sorry for this newbie question :rolleyes::)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!