Newbie... Question about about RAID 1, ZFS and migrating data

Monki77

Oct 2, 2024
Sorry for what seems like a stupid question, but i just want to make sure.
A google says this is possible, but i wanted to double check in a bit more detail..

I have an R220 running Hyper V:
120GB SSD for the windows host OS running veeam for backups.
500GB SSD running the VM OS's
2x 8TB drives in RAID 1 (perc H310, no IT mode) holding the bulk of data for the VMs and general file sharing etc < This is the data I'm most concerned about.

I want to migrate to proxmox. Fortunately a I have a couple of other servers laying round (R210 ii and DL320e) to aid in migrating.
What i don't have is the space to do a simple copy of my data from 1 host to another.
I want to use the R220 for proxmox.
The R210 has a H200 which i've switched to IT mode (This will go in the R220 for proxmox). Currently it's just running a 500GB SSD for proxmox.... not really relevant.
DL320e is crap, but has 2TB of storage in RAID 0, which I will use to hold some additional data which i'm not too bothered about losing during migration.

What i was thinking of doing, for minimal downtime is -
Take out 1x 8TB from my R220 H310 RAID 1 - (Drive A)
Take the H310 and RAID 1 with it's 1x remaining drive out of the R220 (Drive B) and put it to one side.
Put the H200 and Drive A in the R210 and setup a zfs raid 1 (?) on Drive A
Put the H200 and newly formatted zfs Drive B in the R220.
Put the H310 and Drive B in to the R210 so the raid config and files are still accessible.
Transfer everything from R210 Drive B over network to R220 Drive A.
Take Drive B out of R210, put it in R220.
Wipe Drive B.
Set Drive B up as a 2nd drive to mirror Drive A (which now has all original data transferred)
I now have the R220 with H200 running zfs with 2 drive mirroring, with no data lost.

Am i correct in thinking this should work?
I do have onsite backups and off site backups of data that I care about, just in case, but I liked the idea of doing it this way instead.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!