Newbie Proxmox lover hard drive question

Pratt

Oct 26, 2017
Have a quad core xeon server with 32GB ram

I originally had a 250GB SSD and 3 spinning HDs.

When I installed Proxmox, one of the spinners kept throwing errors on data reads and wouldn't allow Proxmox to start, so I just disconnected the spinning drives

I really only want 3 or 4 VMs (linux, Windows) and a place to store video files from a camera, media storage etc

My theory was to do this setup:

250GB SSD LVM for proxmox boot at 15GB and let the rest be LVM thin
I just bought a second 500GB SSD and somehow want to add that as a place for backup and media files, video files from Blue Iris

What is the best recommendation for adding that second SSD, just do EXT4 and mount directories?
What is best way to add a place windows can store video files, etc

Lvm-thin i think, you can setup inside lxc or proxmox host directly a samba server.
Since you use only one drive and it dies, your samba files will be gone.

If you decide to buy a second drive, i would prefer an zfs-mirror, fix arc_max_size to 8gb, so you have 24gb left for vms and additionally you can setup zfs snapshots in combination with windows shadow copys, so you can browse through samba old files that you accidentally deleted.

If you don't add an second disk, then use lvm-thin and plug at least one usb drive as backup in your server, so you can make a monthly backups or something on that drive.

Cheers

your set up will be very easy to manage in the future if you start by using zfs for storage. we use pve at work an at home pve for home theater and backups of work .
quick suggestions: get 2 500GB ssd and use in a zfs raid1 . if you can not afford 2 ssd's still use zfs and add 2nd disk later.
you can store video files on a zfs mounted at /ht
then use lxc to run video and picture servers like emby .
if you go that route I can supply more info on how to have containers access /ht

Reactions: Ramalama

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!