Newbie: Distributing physical hard drives?

slapawrapa

Jul 2, 2024
Hi everyone. I'm new to proxmox and virtualization in general so please bear with me.

For installing the OS - I'm assuming an m.2 drive would have no advantage to an ssd (performance-wise)?

When installing VM's - should each of them be on their own [dedicated] physical drive?

Thank you very much.

For installing the OS - I'm assuming an m.2 drive would have no advantage to an ssd (performance-wise)?
No but and old HDD might be better (since it does not wear like and SSD or NVMe) because Proxmox writes a lot of logs and graphs and does not need much (read) speed (after booting).
When installing VM's - should each of them be on their own [dedicated] physical drive?
No, unless you want this for some reason (to isolated the impact of each VM on each other). The whole idea of virtualization is to share the hardware over many VMs (that are mostly idle, or at least don't try to use 100% of everything all at the same time).

Reactions: alexskysilk
No but and old HDD might be better (since it does not wear like and SSD or NVMe) because Proxmox writes a lot of logs and graphs and does not need much (read) speed (after booting).

No, unless you want this for some reason (to isolated the impact of each VM on each other). The whole idea of virtualization is to share the hardware over many VMs (that are mostly idle, or at least don't try to use 100% of everything all at the same time).
Thank you very much!

Out of curiosity, what are you wanting to do?

Is exploring Proxmox a case of "interested in the tech in general" or is there a specific task you're aiming to get done or something?

Asking because depending on what you're trying to do people can recommend various things to look at or try out. :)

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what are you wanting to do?

Is exploring Proxmox a case of "interesting in the tech in general" or is there a specific task you're aiming to get done or something?

Asking because depending on what you're trying to do people can recommend various things to look at or try out. :)
Currently I'm following along to "Proxmox Virtual Environment Complete Course" by Learn Linux TV on YouTube. I don't have a specific aim right now other than learning as much as I can and getting hands on experience with it. I won't be putting data I value in a VM (or relying on it in general) until I really know what I'm doing so for now I'll just be practicing, experimenting, nuking and rebuilding. ;)

Reactions: justinclift
Cool, that's a good way of doing things. If you hit stumbling block things or just have Proxmox questions in general, you're welcome to ask here. Plenty of knowledgeable and helpful people around. :)

Reactions: slapawrapa

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!