New User LXC Best Practices & More

MrDevanWright

Aug 22, 2024
I'm new to Proxmox, running on an R730XD with plenty of resources, and some of the questions I have are hard to find answers to. Can you share your opinions or link me to the information I seek? I have Proxmox installed on mirrored 1TB SSD's, with a x24 SAS 24TB RAIDZ1 pool via the HBA, and a x60 SATA 160TB RAIDZ2 pool via SFP JBOD. I'm planning on having bulk storage on the x60 SATA, using the x24 SAS as some sort of fast cache so frequently or common items are pulled from the JBOD? I haven't really explored this idea yet, just assumed it was a thing.

When creating a new LXC, is it bad form to install it to the local-zfs, on the OS boot drive? What are the pros and cons?

Planning on running Home Assistant, but should I go with Container LXC or Core LXC? Any problems with the Home Assistant LXC handling plug-ins or should I build out my own separate containers for plugin's?

As I'll have a UniFi Controller LXC, should I provide it with its own dedicated network port to the switch/router? Or would it be more beneficial to bond a couple of ports for more bandwidth to the server?

> When creating a new LXC, is it bad form to install it to the local-zfs, on the OS boot drive? What are the pros and cons?

Typically you want to separate OS + data if possible, to make recovery easier if $BADTHING happens. I usually just install LXC to the fastest SSD-based storage available, or spinning disk if it's low-priority and doesn't require the fastest I/O response

No data / no personal experience on home assistant for me

Unless vmbr0 is very crowded and doing a lot of sustained I/O (and you are seeing visible problems with the setup), I see little point in dedicating a port to a container unless you really need low-latency response. But adding a 2.5Gbit NIC (pcie or USB3) is fairly easy these days; and there's always 10Gbit if you have the free pcie slot and want to do point-to-point on both sides, no switch needed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!