New Proxmox VE set up recommendation

jrtejada

Sep 18, 2023
Hi all,

I've just bought an old server with two E5-2690 Xeon processors at 2.9Ghz with 256Gb ram ECC
I have three 2.5 1Tb mechanical HDD and I'm planning to buy a small SSD 256gb 20 USD and two 2Tb SSD 80 USD each and 2 mechanical 2tb HDD

What would be recommended for Disk distribution ? ZFS? Raid 5? Raid 10 of 4 disks 2 SSD and 2 mechanical of 2TB?
where shall I install the Proxmox in Raid 1 with two 2.5 1TB mechanical disks or only the 256gb SSD?
for the storage of VM (Windows 10 for gaming with GPU passthrough, DNS, Nextcloud, VPN, TrueNas, GIT, DBs, containers (Kubernetes, Docker))
will use the containers for development DevOps

What would be the recommendation for Disk ? if I use the 4 disk of 2tb on Raid 10 ZFS? and store there the VM?

thanks for your suggestions

as many topics and the Documentation : ZFS require datacenter model with PLP protection, if not, performance is bad and wear level will too quick.

as many topics and the Documentation : ZFS require datacenter model with PLP protection, if not, performance is bad and wear level will too quick.
Ok, then ZFS is not a good option.
I do have two UPS of 1000vA that won’t be enough for plp protection.

It doesn't matter if you got a UPS or not. Its about DRAM-caching sync writes and your SSD won't do that if the SSDs don't got built-in powercaps for it's own backup power.
Similar to a raid controller with cache which also won't cache sync writes if the raid card doesn't got a BBU attached.

Last edited:
Reactions: _gabriel
It doesn't matter if you got a UPS or not. Its about DRAM-caching sync writes and your SSD won't do that if the SSDs don't got built-in powercaps for it's own backup power.
Similar to a raid controller with cache which also won't cache sync writes if the raid card doesn't got a BBU attached.
thanks now I know what do you mean, no I wont have that option so no ZFS for me will need to plan using HDD and SSD probably as independent drives and a raid for the true nas using raid 5.
where the SSD can be of more advantage? for the DB or containers? as I already have them I wan to have the set up that gives the best performance without buying extra.

thanks for the support

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!