New proxmox user looking for advice

Danyo

Jul 1, 2024
So I've only really have experience with VMware, but since the free license that I can work with isn't gonna last anymore (Currently got hold of an educational license),
I decided to work with proxmox at home. Creating VM's wasn't hard to learn, but the networking feels very alien to me. I can't really get my head around the lack of virtual switches from VMware. Networking and routing I'm able to do, but I have no idea what I exactly have to imagine with the bridges and bonds, I don't think they have anything you can compare them too properly with.

That said, I do have a specific question right now that might help with creating clarity. Currently, for accessing the web interface, I have to go through my modem, and then through the WAN side of the MS-01. What I want is to have all traffic be routed through pfsense, to the modem. Now I keep seeing that you're only able to have 1 default gateway, but that makes this whole set up not logical in my understanding. The default gateway of the VM's and the enp88 should be the IP of the firewall.
I'm also not sure how to access proxmox from a different interface, since in the initial set up you have to set up the interface, so far it seems I'm unable to change that?

The very long run I'd like to split the MGMT to a separate VLAN, the VM's to a separate VLAN(s), and my physical connections to a separate VLAN (I have 2 more NIC's that are currently unused until I figure this out)

I'd appreciate any insight, I feel like I'm having some misconceptions or misunderstands in places, so if there's additional questions, feel free to ask if that'll make it easier to answer!
Current set up.drawio.png

Not clear if you are running the pfSense as a VM inside proxmox ?
Afaik vmware made all licenses for home use free !

Not clear if you are running the pfSense as a VM inside proxmox ?
Afaik vmware made all licenses for home use free !
Yeah, sorry, pfsense is running inside proxmox as well. MS-01 is my minipc I've been using to test stuff with.

I was under the impression that they cut pretty much any free option of esxi after the broadcom overtake. Even if right now it's not, I wouldn't be surprised they'll head that way soon enough

I think right now for me it'll be more valuable to learn proxmox, since chances of that suddenly becoming license are a lot lower.

Last edited:
So then your schematic is not right. You will have to sort out the routing between the pfsense and your vm/lxc. Great learning project!

Last edited:
So then your scematic is not right. You will have to sort out the routing between the pfsense and your vm/lxc. Great learning project!
What is wrong with it? Currently for testing purposes I have both a windows and linux VM, they are connected with a separate bridge (vmrb1) each to the pfsense, and from there have access to the internet? That's the part that is working as intended right now

As the pfsense runs as a vm it should be on the same level in the schematic as the other vm's than you can show how the routing is supposed to look like.

As the pfsense runs as a vm it should be on the same level in the schematic as the other vm's than you can show how the routing is supposed to look like.
That makes absolutely no sense, the established connections are clear as far as I know. Just dragging the firewall down in the schematic has 0 effect on anything.

That makes absolutely no sense, the established connections are clear as far as I know. Just dragging the firewall down in the schematic has 0 effect on anything.
It will make sense as you will than add another component, but apparantly you are so smart, that you allready know that!
Goodluck with your project!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!