New Proxmox install hangs on reboot when external Thunderbolt drives are attached

AnalogKid

Oct 1, 2024
Hello,

I just setup a new GMKTech K8 NUC with Proxmox. I had no issues installing or getting Proxmox itself configured. I have a couple of VM's running on it (the local storage) just fine.

The issue comes when I try to connect external Thunderbolt drives to the NUC. The NUC is USB 4 which should, and appears to, recognize Thunderbolt just fine.

I have tried two drive setups:

- An Akitito external with a PCI card with 4 M.2 SSD drives (this setup has worked when connected to a previous Proxmox server, a MacPro using a TB2 > TB3 adapter)
- An OWC Envoy Express with an M.2 SSD drive

I can see that the computer is recognizing the devices and the drives (once the device is authorized). I have also gone through the process of authorizing the Thunderbolt drives using the
Code:
boltctl enroll
command. I can run the
Code:
lsblk
command and see the drives (I have not gone through the process of trying to connect the drives to Proxmox). The problem comes when I try to reboot. When I reboot the system hangs at loading initial ramdisk.

I have attached some information that I have collected.

Any assistance in getting past this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Attachments

• fdisk-l_akitito.txt
    11.4 KB · Views: 0
  • lsblk-akitito.txt
    6.2 KB · Views: 0
  • dmesg-akitito.txt
    215.1 KB · Views: 0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!