New ProxMox 8 user - can I make some kind of gateway VM with a paid VPN service so ALL devices that go through this gateway will be secured?

optical

Jul 5, 2023
Hi there, I posted this on the subreddit today but was unsure if maybe posting here is better to ask, hopefully what I'm asking makes some sense -

I want to set up some kind of VM or container with the sole purpose of acting like a gateway for devices that don't have native VPN apps installed. Let's say 192.168.1.100.

For example let's say a VPN provider only allows a few devices at a time, by using one of these logins on the gateway maybe the gateway can then route the traffic for any and all devices set to use it?

Or another use example would be to Kill-Switch secure network devices where it's not an option natively. For example - NVIDIA Shield TV - Great device, however the AndroidTV OS has no KillSwitch option to protect you once your VPN disconnects, packets will start leaving the network unencrypted. I'd hope that by forcing the Shield to use this new Gateway, if the gateway disconnects from VPN, all traffic would fail to go anywhere as well

Hopefully this all makes sense and hopefully I did an OK job of explaining it. I consider myself a novice user

Thank you!

For example let's say a VPN provider only allows a few devices at a time, by using one of these logins on the gateway maybe the gateway can then route the traffic for any and all devices set to use it?
Sure, just set it up with a Linux or FreeBSD machine and wireguard or OpenVPN or whatever the provider requires. You can also do this with real machines instead of VMs and it is not specific to Proxmox or virtualization in general. I assume there are several guides for this on the internet. There is also a network subforum here.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!