New OVS Bridge without reboot?

Joern Bredereck

Renowned Member
Mar 25, 2016
Hi,

I'm currently evaluating Proxmox VE and so far I love it. But there's one thing that could be an absolute "show stopper" for our usecase: Whenever I make a modification to the network setup (e.g. add a new OVS bridge) I need to reboot the entire host along with all the VMs on it. This is an absolute no-go for us, as we have frequent changes in our networking environment and I cannot have a service interruption every time I need to make a change.

Is there any way to avoid the need to reboot in this cases? When searching for a solution I stumbled across blog posts that mentioned

/etc/init.d/pvenetcommit start

but this script doesn't exist in my installation (Version 4.1-39).

Is there any other solution? Thanks in advance!
Jörn

Hi,

Is there any way to avoid the need to reboot in this cases? When searching for a solution I stumbled across blog posts that mentioned
yes but it depend on what you change.

mv /etc/network/interfaces.new /etc/network/interfaces

ifdow and ifup

If you change cluster network then you have to do more.
see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Separate_Cluster_Network

If you change storage network you have to stop all VM anyway.

Reactions: mjw
Hi,

yes but it depend on what you change.

mv /etc/network/interfaces.new /etc/network/interfaces

ifdow and ifup

Wow, that's easy. Ok, got it. Thanks a lot!

If you change cluster network then you have to do more.
see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Separate_Cluster_Network

If you change storage network you have to stop all VM anyway.

Yes, that's right. But in most cases I'm just adding or removing bridgs. We run separate internal networks for the VMs to seperate them on layer2.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!