[SOLVED] New install Shell and vm issue

Phiggles

Sep 6, 2024
Hi all, I am totally new to Linux and all the commands so is a huge learning curve. I planned on installing Proxmox on bare metal then having my original windows 11 in a vm.
This leads me to where I am currently.

Installed Proxmox 8.2 via usb iso
- upon logging in had subscription error
- just trying random stuff ( shell button) and it comes up with an error - "TASK ERROR: command '/usr/bin/termproxy 5900 --path /nodes/pve --perm Sys.Console -- /bin/login -f root' failed: exit code 1"

No idea what this means or where to look. I then proceeded to install a windows 11 vm, had the install iso and virto drivers, started the vm but when I double click it the 'No VNC window' opens and shows "failed to connect to server".

I have no idea where to even start to get either of these working.

Please can I have some assistance/guidance. instructions will have to be guided if you could please.

Thanks

Phil

Hello!

Once you have installed ProxMox it is quite normal to have a warning about your subscription! As long as you do not buy a paid subscription you will systematically have this warning when logging in! But do not worry it is 100% normal!

Then in order for you to be able to update your proxmox, you must change the repos on pve-no-subscriptions.

First of all in the menu you must select your PVE-Entreprise line and deactivate it!

Then you must do "Add" and add the "no-subscriptions" repo

And then you can do a refresh so that it updates the repos and offers you the available updates of ProxMox!

Look at the attached screenshot

Attachments

• ProxMox PVE SUBSCRIPTION.png
    ProxMox PVE SUBSCRIPTION.png
    124.5 KB · Views: 3
Hi, thank you, I added the 'no subscription' and disable the 'subscription'.

The console (shell) from the main menu should be working? I am logged in as root but the it fails to load - is this normal? This is where a user could be able to type commands and execute....?

Secondly - the windows 11 vm I can not open a window - no vnc fails to connect to server - what am I missing?

Thanks

Phil

Last edited:
So, the issue appears to be with safari on my Mac, just tried a different browser and both the console and vm window open.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!