New Install - Ethernet network not visible

Rave

Aug 5, 2024
Hi,
I am new to Proxmox and have been waiting and learning about it for a few days now. Today I finally got to try it on a new MiniPC (n100).
However, during the install process the ethernet does not show up for management, I can only see the wifi.
I spent the last 6 hours trying different solutions online but I could not solve the issue.
From what I understand, my Network card is the problem, Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI express
I tried setting things up via wifi but I could not connect to the internet that way either.
Using Unbuntu on a USB I am able to connect to wifi, but the network card does not show up there either.
I know the ethernet card is working, because in Bios when activated, I do see a wired connection on my router.
I was under the impression that the 8168 issue has been resolved with the latest proxmox. I don;t know what to do?

Attachments

• interfaces.jpg
    interfaces.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 18
  • grep.jpg
    grep.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 16
  • LSPCI.jpg
    LSPCI.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Install-page.jpg
    Install-page.jpg
    793.4 KB · Views: 18
It shows the Realtek pci card.

Attachments

• IMG_2013.jpeg
    IMG_2013.jpeg
    790.2 KB · Views: 16
I read that thread, but without internet connection, I cannot run the apt updates and other commands. Kinda stuck.

No, I think I will get one tomorrow and try. Do you think that will show up? and then I can run the commands?

Just another thought; I've never done it before but maybe you could try with USB tethering to a phone, something like this?

I'm reading this thread and one of the suggestions is to copy the files from "latest driver" src to /usr/src/r8168-8.053.00
and then run some commands.
The problem is I do not know how to copy over that folder. I used 7-zip to access the src folder but how do I pass it on to the MIni PC? USB?

I believe you mean this post.

So you will need to save that src directory (unzipped) to a USB flash drive on the PC where you downloaded that driver. Mount the USB on the Proxmox server & then continue with the post's directives.

I have no idea whether this is going to work for you. BTW if it turns out that your problem is really linked to the PVE 6.8 version (as in that post) then you could always try downloading an earlier version of PVE from here & see if it works. If it does you could then upgrade your PVE to latest after having all the correct drivers downloaded.

I believe you mean this post.

So you will need to save that src directory (unzipped) to a USB flash drive on the PC where you downloaded that driver. Mount the USB on the Proxmox server & then continue with the post's directives.

I have no idea whether this is going to work for you. BTW if it turns out that your problem is really linked to the PVE 6.8 version (as in that post) then you could always try downloading an earlier version of PVE from here & see if it works. If it does you could then upgrade your PVE to latest after having all the correct drivers downloaded.
Nice idea. I’ll try that. Thank you.

If you don't find any workaround, get yourself a USB-Ethernet adapter & use that.

USB-Ethernet adapter fixed it. I did succedd in enabling it in Ubuntu Live and tried to move the driver over to Ppve root, but failed.
However, the adapter worked instantly. Thank you for the support. Much appreciated.

Happy for you. Did you also finally get the onboard Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 working under Proxmox?
Yes I did get it working. It was painful but it is working now. I did not set it up to handle the proxmox because I am worried that with the next update, it might stop working again. Is that a good decision?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!