new install eth0: received packet with own address as source

I have been seeing this message on a Dell R610 with it's broadcom 4 port ethernet card (BCM5709 ).

I experienced about 26 seconds of stalls of ssh sessions going into the server from my laptop.

I've observed that that I can have a screen session with pings running continually during the stalled ssh session. So oddly, it doesn't seem like the server is totally disconnected. Maybe this is a switch problem.

I installed a new Ethernet card and it seemed to work quite stable for about 20 minutes, but then I had one session where the inbound ssh session froze up. Well, I did hear that there was a packet storm on the network about 3 weeks ago and I don't think that the core network switch was rebooted after that , so I had it rebooted this evening and I have not seen any problems since two hours ago. The packet storm was identified on some extended parts of the network serviced by smaller switches where there was an accidental loop in the wiring. the packet storm came up after a power failure.

I'm posting this in hopes that the information will be helpful to others searching for these unusual circumstances.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!