New host, better CPU?

openaspace

Sep 16, 2019
Italy
Hello :)
Wich the better CPU architecture for VM compatibilities ? Amd /Intel Xeon/ Intel i7?

Thanks.

(Amd ryzen 3700, Intel Xeon E3 1245 or Intel i7 8700 )

Is this a new, additional, host in the cluster?

IMO the thing which can make your life really a lot easier is to keep a cluster (relatively) homogenous. Mixing different CPU models from the same vendor can be OK, at least if you use a controlled CPU type for VMs which has the same capabilities on all host CPUs, e.g., "QEMU64" or "KVM64".

Mixing vendors in the same cluster works for some, but there are surely more problems comparing to clusters where all CPUs come from the same vendor. While the instruction set accepted is both amd64, they are architecturally so different that it may still making issues on live migration, or live snapshots, even when virtualizing.
As said, can work, but has bigger chances to make problems compared to more homogenous clusters.

If that does not matters much, it depends a bit if you need more cores for the bucks or slightly more single-core performance.
For the first I'd personally go for AMD for the latter maybe Intel, but it's hard to get CPUs with small nanometer fabrication nodes from intel, so maybe even there you would fare with AMD at least as good as with Intel.
Security wise AMD has (currently) also a much better track record, so there's that - if that's important depends on how much you trust the virtual guests (i.e., are they controlled by external people, maybe even not employed or known to you?)

So in short, it depends. What guest operating system and what services do you plan to run there?

Reactions: openaspace
Really complete answer, Thank you! :)

I have only one host running on Intel i7 cpu's (that i will reset soon to switch to ZFS file system) , at this point i will rent another intel cpu server.

Have a nice day

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!