New drive to a ZFS Pool

felipejgribeiro

Jul 8, 2023
Hi all.

I have a ZFS Pool (raidz1-0) with 3 disks (4TB each). This gives me 8192 GB storage pool.
1719863804186.png

Is there a way to add another 4TB disk to this pool and have a new 12288 GB pool with no data loss?

Thanks!

No, that feature is still not rolled out yet. You will have to wait for it or destroy and recreate your pool.

By the way...those HDDs use shingled magnetc recording (SMR) and shouldn't be used with ZFS...or any other server workload...
I would recommend you google for the difference between CMR and SMR and why SMR disks suck when not only writing in few and small bursts.
A resilvering once a disk fails will be hell. I hope you got proper backups. Also not uncommon that a ZFS pool will degrade on load because of too much read/write errors once the CMR-cache of the HDDs is full and they then become so unresponsive that requests will timeout and ZFS thinks the disk is dead and counts the IO as errors.

Last edited:
Reactions: felipejgribeiro
No, that feature is still not rolled out yet. You will have to wait for it or destroy and recreate your pool.

By the way...those HDDs use shingled magnetc recording (SMR) and shouldn't be used with ZFS...or any other server workload...
I would recommend you google for the difference between CMR and SMR and why SMR disks suck when not only writing in few and small bursts.
A resilvering once a disk fails will be hell. I hope you got proper backups. Also not uncommon that a ZFS pool will degrade on load because of too much read/write errors once the CMR-cache of the HDDs is full and they then become so unresponsive that requests will timeout and ZFS thinks the disk is dead and counts the IO as errors.
Thanks! That's a good answer. I'll take a look on the topics you mentioned.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!