New Cluster Network Configuration

afrugone

Renowned Member
Nov 26, 2008
I've receive a donation of a Lenovo Flex Chasis with 7 nodes, each node has 4 1GB nics, connected to 2 EN2092 (Layer 3) switches, besides we receive a VNX5200 storage with 2 controllers with 4 1GB nics each. I've being using Proxmox for some time, but never use HA, with this little monster I'd like to build a HA cluster, wich is the best Network configuration to configure the HA cluster with the best possible performance, I've made an sketch of what configuration I' think could be possible, is a good idea to bond all 4 nics of each node and create 2 vlans, one for storage and the other for production? if I'm wrong please tell me.

ClusterNET.png

Last edited:
Each node x240 has 4 1gb nics, is a good idea to create a bond with these 4 nics?, and create two different vlans on this bond, one vlan for storage, and the other for production? I'll need another vlan for intercluster communicaton?

So what's the recommended configuration for networking for this configuration?

Thanks for your comments

Recommended is to use dedicated network (PHY) for Clusternetwork. In the past we had also more NICs in one Bond, one Bridge and and a lot of VLANs. When networkslable was very high for a long time, it's happened before that the clustercommunication is broken for a time.

During the Clusterupgrade from pve3 to pve4 we build an extra bond with to nics on each node for an extra clustervlan without gateway and without bridge, really only for clustercommunication. I talked to the support and it is hightly recommended to do this so.

Thanks for your comments.

So you recommned to not bonding all NICs, is not safe?, and use for example one NIC1 for cluster communication, NIC2 for production (users access) and could BOND NIC3 and NIC4 for storage, for higher speed.

For Bonding is a good idea to use active-active configuration? or is not safe? and could be safer use active-passive?

Thanks for your comments.

The problem is the the linuximplementation of bonding do not working great. Many problems, particularly with ipv6. With linuxbonding i only use active-backup. Otherwise we use for all things LACP. But you need Layer2 Switches.

The switches support LACP and I will not use IPV6, in that case, do you think is safe to use active-active? or still not safe.

Thanks again for your valuable help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!