New Build Advice v2

DivideAndReformat

Sep 26, 2024
Hello, I want to build a Proxmox host that I can also use as a standard workstation and I would like to know if anyone can advise what pitfalls to avoid.

I intend to have Proxmox as the only OS on the machine and use a desktop KVM connected to the onboard USB & video output so that it uses the CPU's integrated graphics chip. The KVM will also have a connection to the PCIe GPU and another USB port for mouse/keyboard/gamepad. My theory is that this will allow an easy switch between the host and any guest I assign to the dedicated GPU to.

What problems should I know about before doing this?
How can I check that the motherboard/CPU combo will allow integrated graphics to be used while also allowing the PCIe GPU too?

This would be easier with Windows as a host OS but I want to use Proxmox so that the host is as clean as possible and the VMs are disposable. I do a lot of different development work and would much rather spin up a fresh VM for each environment than continue installing hundreds of bloated frameworks on my main desktop. One of the guests will be Windows 11 Pro to be used for gaming.

I accidentally posted to the wrong forum before: New Build Advice

In the setup I'm proposing, there would be no GUI installed on the host as I would manage it either on the CLI or via web GUI. I suppose this concept would be a return to the 'mainframe' style of computing where multiple HCI devices are plugged into the same box. The idea is that some physical ports would be dedicated to the host and others dedicated to a specific guest. If possible, those pass-throughs would target multiple guests with the restriction that only one can be online at a time.

From the thread you linked, it sounds like what I want to do is a standard way of doing things (passthrough for guest) even though I've worded it badly. So, unless anyone mentions some severe problems with what I'm planning I think I'll go ahead and make the purchase. If all else fails, I can just install Mint/Ubuntu/Windows/etc... and use the machine that way.

Reactions: UdoB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!